Perspectives on...   Cooking  >    Confrontations  >    Crafts  >   Graphic Design  >   Photography  >   Weight Loss   |    Home

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Today's Results!

Well, I didn't get around to all three projects for today but I did have fun with two of them.

Kimono Shoes:
Ok, so after I had a total DUH moment on the first attempt, I got these sewn in about 15 minutes!  Super quick!  I would do it a little different if I attempt a second pair with this pattern, though:
  first, I would make the soles out of either leather or suede in a matching color for both durability (Katelyn's always been a kicker!) and looks.  And I skipped any embellishments this time because I wanted to focus on the basic shoe design first - but I really wanted to add buttons or bows or ribbon somewhere on the toe area!

Now the down side:  when I went to put them on Katelyn they were extremely difficult to get on - I dont know if I've got them sewn wrong or if they're too small or if it's just the cut of the shoe (the wrap part extends pretty far down the side and makes the toe section a little narrow).  We'll see what I can figure out about that.  Otherwise, super cute, super quick!

And sadly, I realized I don't have any elastic on hand so I couldn't try the other pair of shoes.  But I'm really anxious to give them a shot because I think they would be more likely to stay on Katelyn's feet, especially with how active she's becoming!


Geometric Soft Ball:
This project was the result of an email I read about giving babies Katelyn's age lots of textures and shapes to play with.  She doesn't have many toys that are cloth (TONS of cool plastic toys, though) so I figured I'd make her a few things.  This was first up on the list.  I think she will really enjoy playing with it.  Finished size is about 6" diameter and each section is just small enough for her little hand to grab.  I used a faux-suede fabric on the inside (red) and a rougher fabric (blue flower) on the outside, so she should enjoy feeling the difference between the soft and scruffy textures of the two fabrics. 

This project had a LOT more hand-sewing than I anticipated - just a heads up if you decide to tackle it.  The last steps of assembly weren't nearly as difficult as I expect.

FUNNY SIDE NOTE:  Katelyn and Sadie (family dog) now have matching toys.  Sadie received this same style of ball as a Christmas present!  Haha, hope we don't have problems with confusion!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!