Perspectives on...   Cooking  >    Confrontations  >    Crafts  >   Graphic Design  >   Photography  >   Weight Loss   |    Home

Saturday, May 29, 2010

'K' is for #QUILT!

Well, now that she is almost 8 months old, Katelyn's nursery is finally complete!  I set out to make my baby girl a quilt for hanging above her crib before she was even born; one thing or another came up and I inched along at a snail's pace on that project.  But in the last week I have finally been able to set aside some time to start and finish it!  It's my first totally machine-quilted quilt and I am quite pleased with how it turned out. 
Here's pics with a few notes on the process:

These were the two quilts I used as inspiration - hopefully you can see the elements I took from each.
I drew up this guide in Adobe Illustrator before I started cutting and sewing.  As you can see, my original plan was to do inset squares all the way around and to do a scalloped border.  But, plans change!
I did manage to cut out enough pieces to do the inset squares, but after I appliqued the 'K' in the middle, I lost ANY and ALL desire to applique 20 small squares!!!
Since I had no real pattern I was following, I didn't do such a great job of calculating before cutting.  Derrick's dad always tells him when woodworking, "Measure twice - cut once."  I should've followed that advice a little better because I ended up having to cut back the brown inner border because I cut my squares .25" too small!  Oh well, I think it looks fine this way, too - it would've had a slightly wider border otherwise.
I was really excited about how straight the quilt turned out!  And, after three days of piecing it together, I decided to skip the scallop on the edges - it would've cut too much into the white border and I thought it would look unbalanced.
Katelyn is sleeping soundly beneath her momma's quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!