Perspectives on...   Cooking  >    Confrontations  >    Crafts  >   Graphic Design  >   Photography  >   Weight Loss   |    Home

Friday, May 28, 2010

Bandana Dress for my Baby

Derrick, Katelyn, and I are having family photos taken in like a week.  You know what that means!  The search is on for matching outfits - or at least coordinating!  Living in a small town, our options are somewhat limited - I have searched Target and Walmart.  I bought a dress for Katelyn at Target, but spent $13.00 on it and don't like it THAT much.  I mean it's cute, but she'll wear it like twice at most.

Then I remembered a tutorial a ran across online for making a really cute (and supposedly simple) dress for little girls out of bandanas that cost $1 each.
  I have stock piles of ribbon, so a dress for $2 was too good to pass up.  I picked up two bandanas at Walmart yesterday and set about making my first piece of clothing ever.

The pattern was simple enough - but I didn't like that it was unlined, so I decided to add lining.  Did I know how to line clothing???  Of course not!  But why should that stop me?  I made a bag once for my niece that was lined... it couldn't be much different from that, right?  So I decided to line my dress.

At 11:15pm last night I decided to go to bed and finish it in the morning.  I based the dress of the pattern found here and tweaked a few things to make the lining work.  For instance, I shortened the pocked for the ribbon to make sure the arm holes were large enough, so my ribbon is crinkled inside the pocket.  Who cares?  You can't even tell!  The whole neck line is crinkled!  And I made the lining a few inches longer than the dress itself and did a bias binding type thing along the bottom edge to give it a little more definition and because I had to have some way of finishing it off.  I love it - I think it's great and Katelyn looks darn cute in it!  Next up:  a matching bow with smaller matching ribbon!  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!