Perspectives on...   Cooking  >    Confrontations  >    Crafts  >   Graphic Design  >   Photography  >   Weight Loss   |    Home

Sunday, June 13, 2010

"The Call" by Os Guinness

In the opening chapter (all I've read thus far) of The Call, Os Guinness says, "...transition challenges our sense of personal meaning."  I understand this statement full well at this time of my life.  Following closely on the heels of a major life shift, I had a major health crisis and ended up in surgery and an 8 week recovery process... followed immediately by a 3-month treatment for said health issues... followed immediately by 9 months of trying to conceive... followed (seriously, thank God) by 9 months of pregnancy.  Well, really only about 8 months because the baby was 3 weeks early.  Not exactly what we planned for, but luckily she was perfectly healthy... for the next 8 weeks at least.  That's when she got RSV, a long and drawn out 4 week battle that included 5 trips to the ER and a 3-night stay in the Pediatric Wing of the hospital.  My life has been one giant transition the last 3 years or so, and now that my beautiful daughter is here with us, growing and (finally) healthy (again, thank God)... I feel like the transition has just begun.

It seems like every new week Katelyn hits a new milestone and my life shifts all over again.  She is currently working on crawling and I know when she finally gets it down, my days of sitting to work while she plays quietly on the floor are long gone.  And then she'll be pulling up on everything.  And as Katelyn learns all her new tricks, I have been wondering how my new role as full-time Mom plays into what I've believed to be my calling for the last 10ish years.  Turns out Os is right... transition does challenge our sense of personal meaning.

Who am I now that I'm a mom?
What am I called to be/do and how does that affect being a mom?  Or does it work the other way around?  Does my being a mom affect everything else?  (Basically, what's at the basis of who I am?)

A few quotes from Chapter 1 that stuck out to me:
"...modern Western civilization is the very first to have no agreed-on answer to the question of the purpose of life."
"The trouble is that, as modern people, we have too much to live with and too little to live for."
"...in the midst of material plenty, we have spiritual poverty."
"...calling is the truth that God calls us to himself so decisively that everything we are, everything we do, and everything we have is invested with a special devotion and dynamism lived out as a response to his summons and service."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!